The Story Behind This Blog

The Story Behind This Blog

One day I was at a Korean market, shopping for noodles with my friend Tracey, and I said, "Hey! I could create a blog about the different kinds of food you can get at all the ethnic markets around here! And maybe the restaurants, too! Do you think that's a good idea?"

And she said, "Yeah."

So here we are.

June 21, 2010

Sinbad Ranch Market, Anaheim

Last year, my friend Tammi and I stumbled on Sinbad Ranch Market when we tried to go to the much larger Altebayat only to discover that it's closed on Sunday. I still haven't made it to Altebayat, but this Sunday I was happy to make Sinbad Ranch my destination when Tracey and I headed to Anaheim's "Little Gaza" to buy food for Father's Day dinner.

The small store has a friendly neighborhood market feel. They offer Mediterranean cheeses, olives, rices, grains, bottled peppers, fresh flatbreads, and a wide assortment of spices I never saw growing up in New Jersey (and still don't know how to use). But the star of the show is the meat counter. I bought two different kinds of marinated chicken kabob. When I asked the butcher what was in the marinades, he shook his head and said, "It's my mother's recipe," the implication being that his mother was a scary, scary woman and I didn't want to mess with her. Later, my husband, who loves Middle Eastern food, said that one of the chickens tasted like shish tawook and the other like shawarma. I'll take his word for it. In any event, both were a hit. At less than three dollars a pound (pre-cut and smothered in the mysterious -- but not in a bad way -- marinade), they were also a bargain. Tracey bought some ground lamb, and we admired other cuts of lamb as well as some remarkable looking veal and beef (including chili beef and carne asada). All of the meat is halal.

Get This: If you're an eggplant and olive fan, the Jericho caponata ($2.99 for 10 oz.) makes an addictive sandwich spread or dip. Great for entertaining, too.
Not So Much: A lot of the produce looked tired, though I picked up some tiny seedless red grapes that were delicious.
I Could Never Be That Hungry: The deli counter had a nice big tray of goat meat. It looked fresh and juicy ... but it was still goat.

Sinbad Ranch Market
521 S. Brookhurst St., Anaheim, CA 92804, (714)533-3671

No comments:

Post a Comment